Lack of emotional intelligence could ruin your business
Most business owners think they don’t have the time to learn more about what emotional intelligence is and how it affects them. The main reason for that is that they may be unsure what emotional intelligence is.
Have you ever heard the phrase “Common sense is not that common”? It refers to the fact that many people somehow fail to – see the obvious, to read between the lines, to go the extra mile, to understand what’s needed from them… Whatever happened to people just “getting you” and your business?
That’s emotional intelligence. Whether you are ready to accept it or not, it can be a huge invisible asset to your business or it can be a gap that no amount of resources can fill. In short, emotional intelligence has five components which include competencies that can be tested and improved. These components are:
- Self-awareness, which includes recognizing emotions, their cause and learning to act consciously versus react irrationally
- Self-regulation is about tolerance, self-control, the ability to eliminate blame and judgment
- Motivation teaches you how to build on passion beyond money or status and persistently pursue goals
- Empathy is about understanding emotional make up of colleagues and treating people with respect of who they are as a person
- Social skills, which includes developing and managing of relationships and finding common ground
I don’t know about you, but these seem like very business-related skills to me, which is precisely why we offer help in this direction.
If you disagree and think that these are not related to your business, we would love to hear from you. Seriously, we would, because we know you’ll soon begin to pay a price for ignoring emotional intelligence.
Seriously though, nowadays emotional intelligence is more important than conventional intelligence. And if you are going to run a successful business, it’s good to keep this in mind.
3 / 15 / 2016